Thursday, July 25, 2013

July 22-25

First off I realized I have been putting June on July post woops. I also had the last four days of blogs typed and ready to post, but for some reason my phone deleted them. Now Ill just give a brief overview of the last few days.

The weather has been fairly good, its not crazy hot anymore, but there has been some rain with a few thunderstorms.  Sunshine and I seperated for a couple days to hike alone. Sometimes its necessary considering we are together 24/7. While we were seperated I got some bigger miles in. On the 22nd I had 12 miles done by noon so I spent a few hours swimming at a waterfall and laying on the rocks. After taking the long break I did the 5 miles to the next shelter that was bug central so I ate quickly and climbed in the tent to call it a day.

The 23 I awoke to rain and a tree falling over. I heard it popping and knew it was going to fall, but I couldn't see where it was falling so I closed my eyes and gritted my teath while hoping for the best. Luckily the tree crashed to the ground nowhere near me. Once that was over I packed up the wet tent and started thr climb up lions head mtn. At the summit I had lunch and dried the tent out. Just as I was finishing lunch a fast moving storm moved in.  While quickly packing my gear up on the ridgeline the rain started coming down,  I flew down the ridge to begin the steap rocky and now wet decent towards the Riga shelter.  I arrived at the shelter and I wad empty but not for long, hikers began to pile in. Its reminded me of Georgia to be in a packed shelter waiting out the rain. Ambassador was the last to arrive at the shelter,  he told me that sunshine was just ahead of her so I grabbed my pack and took off in the rain towards Bear Mtn. I arrived at the summit 3 miles past Riga shelter in 50 min. I was booking it up that mountain.  At the top I saw Giggle fitts and paisley but no sign of sunshine, so I asked them if they had seen her "nope"" they said. Hummmm she has eluded me again. Leaving Bear Mtn. heading towards the Massachusetts boarder was an extremely steep rock scramble down to sages ravine. Crossing the Massachusetts boarder I began the next climb, no long into it I saw a bear walking on the trail surprisingly he didn't see me so I hung back. Close to the summit I took a break, and after a few min. I could hear trekking poles clattering against rocks all of the sudden I saw sunshine "hey you" I said. And after two days we were back together. Two miles to the camp and the day would be done but not before gorging ourselves on blueberries atop the amazingly beautiful ridgeline.

24 of July. ..yesterday we set out early to get to Great Barrington MA to grab my package and resupply.  Thanks to Vivian and  Terry Lewis for the package it was and is great, and of couse to momma for my normal food drop. Sunshine and I stayed at the Days Inn, had a showet and did laundry.  I'm so happy to have clean socks.  This morning we left town late and went 3 miles to Nero in the woods. Tomorrow we plan to get up at 4am and try to pound out 26 miles.

We are at 1519 miles and have 667 to go.
Vermont should be under our shoes by early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment