Monday, July 15, 2013

Slowww. July 13 - 14

Summer is in full swing, which maybe nice for those of you who have air conditioning or are hitting the lake and the river. For us thru hikers it makes for short days and heat exhaustion.  Sunshine and I have cut our daily miles down to about 13. Between the rocky steep climbs, limited water and the heat, exhaustion rears its ugly head early in the day and causes us to stop short of our desired destination.  Yesterday we climbed bear mountain (hill) amongst a ton of tourists and had to be tortured by the smell of barbeque when we got down to the lake. The trail went through a zoo and over the Hudson River. In the zoo we hit the lowest elevation on the AT 124 ft. Lately my energy levels and motivation have been low maybe because the heat or just due to the fact I've been walking for 4.5 months...I don't know.  Sunshine and I have made a pact, basically we promised to get the other one to Katahdin no matter what. I'm glad she is my hiking partner, we make a good team.

Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment